Choosing a Domain Name
Want a domain name, but can't find a good one?
START WITH YOUR KEYWORDS
Write down a list of words and phrases that best represent your idea or company.
- Place more value on unique words that distiguish you and have better chances to be available.
- Avoid numbers, hyphens, and too many characters, all of these factors reduce search engine results.
- Keep it short, concise, simple and easy to remember.
- Be creative or ask that creative friend for help, you can also contact Brod Solutions for ideas.
TIPS TO CHOOSE A DOMAIN NAME ENDING
With many options for an ending, its best practice to pick from this order of authority.
- .com (Industry Standard)
- .net (Network)
- .org (Organization)
- .co (Company)
- .anything (Vanity)
.com is the best choice to add credibility to your site, legitimize your web presence, and expand your reach.
.net is the second most popluar domain name, preferred by technology businesses.
.org should be used exclusively for organizations or free community information.
.co has been established for representing for profit companies.
.anything are vanity names such as .lawyer .ninja .pro .life, these provide create spaces for ideas, companies, hobbyists, etc.
HOW DO I FIND AVAILABLE NAMES
Once you have your preference for an domain name ending, you can begin a search with registrars.
- name.com (great prices, my preferred domain name registrar)
- iwantmyname.com (search by keyword, then see every available ending)
- namechk.com (finds if social media accounts are availble too)
Not only are these domain names great examples of what they represent, but these are the best search tools today.